For anyone who hasn’t seen my most recent Instagram picture by the canal or read my last post on detaching, here’s the news: I moved to Amsterdam. Yay, big girl steps. In true Antonia form, I started packing the day before and finished packing like ten minutes before leaving. Unsurprisingly, I forgot lots of stuff or simply didn’t think to bring/buy these things because they were always just available at home (and if I couldn’t find them my mom always did). So here’s a list of everything I’ve realized I’ve forgotten or still need (up til now):
note: if you can’t physically bring this stuff, put it on the “buy as soon as possible” list. you’re welcome.
- An umbrella (Amsterdam is super rainy and I’ve never bought an umbrella before but there’s a first for everything I guess)
- Medicine! Ibuprofen, stomach medicine, peppermint oil against headaches (although eucalyptus oil works best)
- Your bank card!!! I feel like I’m the only one this would ever happen to but I left both my bank cards sitting on my kitchen desk :)))
- Important documents. Passport, bank details, insurance details, birth certificate??? I don’t even know where mine is but maybe I should have brought it? Idek
- Chargers (phone, laptop, camera)
- Speakers. Background music makes life better.
- A microwave
- A kettle (I am terrified of my gas stove and can’t even make tea lmao)
- A bathmat
- A bedside lamp/desk lamp
- A laundry basket
- Cleaning utensils (broom, bucket, wet-wipes, etc.)
- Clothing detergent
- Dishwasher tabs!
- A clothing line and clothing pins (you know, for washing your clothes, which you’ll now be doing yourself)
- A raincoat
- Coats in general! I didn’t bring a single coat and I feel so dumb
- Boots (summer won’t last forever)
- Cotton pads and q-tips
- Nail files
- Simple spices (pepper, salt, cinnamon, curry, chili)
- Hot sauce
- Honestly bring as much food as you can from home because that’s where most of your mone will go once you’ve arrived
This is all I can think of right now but feel free to let me know anythign I might’ve forgotte (literally) and I’ll update the list asap.
Good luck, have a safe trip, have fun growing up xx